TOWARF is an all-volunteer organization and requires a significant time commitment and dedication from its membership. As a potential member you must give serious consideration to your ability to attend and participate on a regular basis. Members must be at least 18 years old. During the boating season, it will require at least twenty (20) hours per month from April to October of your time on a fixed schedule with the crew to which you are assigned. Once a member you can expect to dedicate this time to Training, Community Events, Committee work, SAR missions, and Boat Maintenance. From October to April, the commitment hours will drop but we continue our winter training program and committee work during this time. Even though we are volunteers, the commitment can often feel like a part-time job. We are all volunteers but the common thing among our members is we have a deep passion for our community, saving lives and marine life.
We offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to help others in their time of need. To accomplish this we need dedication and training to the highest standards from each and every member. Our members come from many different backgrounds and experience levels with the common goal of professionalism and service. We may be volunteers but we are a highly trained and professional service.
At the end of each season, we evaluate our crews and membership knowing that member spots will open as part of normal attrition. This gives us the opportunity to recruit new members that have same dedication and passio
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC) or equivalent which can be obtained after applying for membership
- Radio Operators Certificate Maritime (ROC M) which is offered as a part of our training programme
- Must be willing to commit a minimum of 20 hours per month during the boating season on a fixed schedule with assigned crew
- A commitment to participate in unit activities such as boat maintenance, building maintenance, boating safety activities or public relations
- Live or work within a 20 to 30 kilometer radius of downtown Oakville
Previous boating knowledge and experience is an asset, but not a requirement!
It you are still interested in being a volunteer we look forward to reviewing your application. Please:
- Complete the form below and submit
- Once contacted by TOWARF, please send your CV/resume . You resume should be generic – related to your work experience, skills and training (not changed for TOWARF)
We will be in contact with any new member candidates during the offseason (October to April) as part of annual intake. We do not actively recruit during the active season (May-September). Those contacted will be asked to fill out an application form and attend an interview.
Prospective applicants should review the about us, videos and marine search and rescue pages for more information prior to applying. Before completing an application, you must review our Crew Duties and Fitnes to ensure that you can comply.